Sea Powers is a textual game of strategic command decisions, where you build and command a fleet of warships to destroy your enemies.
The game is currently in a partly finished Alpha state. Since it an Alpha, the admins reserve the right to reset the game or mess with game balance at will. This will largely end when the game goes into Beta.
May 20 2017:
Our recent round of changes have been slanted towards making things easier for newer/weaker players
* added salvage missions that provide free low level ships
* added supply shipment missions that spawn inversely proportional to a player's strength
* reworked player protections. players taking heavy losses will now receive a short defensive cooldown timer in which they cannot be attacked. This mechanic is relative to player strength and losses taken
* you can now change your email address, password, and a few other things
* tweaked the forum index layout a bit
I'll be keeping an eye on the cooldown tool and adjusting it as needed. Let me know about any feedback you have about it.
May 8 2017:
* ship can now be renamed
* ships can now be scrapped
* there is now a repair all button on the main ships page
* news/attack alerts now show at every page, and not just on the home page
Apr 25 2017:
I've made a good handful of changes over the last week or so. Here's the highlights:
* Changed gun weapons to be more effective against small surface craft spam
* buffed base renown rewards, and changed rewards to scale based on relative strength levels (ie, more for kills against stronger players)
* added a land loss limiter to limit the amount of land a person can lose in a short time span. This is mostly to counter against team ups and heavy farming against solo players
* fixed a few bugs
Apr 16 2017:
I've done a pass at ship balance today
* removed MFP's immunity to torpedo attacks
* made it so that AA weapons can be used against ships that do not have armour
* added some MTB type ships in response to requests for cheap scouting ships
* changed the stat weighting of the ship cost formula
And if this isn't enough to make spam fleets balanced, I'll add an overkill mechanic into combat resolution.
Apr 13 2017:
Updated ground combat so that defenders with a very large margin of superiority will completely stop attackers from getting anything. A more intricate system is still planned in the long term, but for now land capture is still largely based on ratios of troops present compared to defender's total land.
I also tweaked reports a bit.
Apr 1 2017: The ground combat / land capture part of PVP has been changed. Defending troop calculations have been completely changed, and the amount of possible land capture has been reduced.
Apr 1 2017:
I've retuned and reworked combat resolution to be rather more lethal. It should no longer be a largely ineffective slapfast. Further updates will be applied as needed.
Any feedback you care to pass along is appreciated.
Mar 24 2017:
Core combat mechanics have been updated. Instead of being based on a simple live/die system, they now take damage based on enemy ship stats (weapons, experience, etc). They can also be repaired. This will have a net result of making ships much more survivable.
Renown rewards from PVP kills have been greatly increased.
Mar 22 2017:
Did a balance pass on mission difficulties tonight. Enemy spawns for some missions were adjusted, and all of them have had danger ratings added to indicate the power level of ships in the potential spawn pools for the missions.
Mission rewards have also been adjusted. Renown rewards are generally down to encourage PVP, which rewards renown based on enemy ships killed. Nonrepeatable missions have had their requisition rewards greatly increased.
Also fixed a bug that caused renown levels to reset after attacking someone.
Mar 16 2017:
I've pushed a few changes. In no particular order:
* Fixed the base defense purchase bug
* Ship purchase listing page now shows your resources at the top
* Ship purchase listing page now defaults to only showing what you can actually afford
* Missions now have icons based on the type of mission displayed before the name in the listing page
* The Start Playing button on the home page will now only show if you're not logged in
* updated the working/not working list on the home page